Thursday, 29 April 2010

It's Coming Up.... Daffodils


 




















The Greek woodland nymph Echo, unable to verbalize her love for Narcissus, waited longingly for her beloved to recognize and embrace her devotion.
As Narcissus admired his beauty in the water, Echo waited, wasting away until she became nothing but an echo in the distant mountains. The other woodland nymphs demanded retribution for her unrequited love and sought the counsel of Zeus who agreed with their plight and reduced Narcissus to a spring-blooming ephemeral white flower.
The flower would be his namesake, Narcissus, also known as the daffodil or jonquil. It is said that the flower, in its downward tilt, is reminiscent of Narcissus as he sat gazing into the pond.


















Quote:
The name Narcissus derives from the Greek word narke, meaning to benumb, for its narcotic properties.

While all parts of the plant are poisonous, the bulb is the most toxic. It contains lycorine, an alkaloid known for its ability to induce vomiting and gastrointestinal cramping.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) includes it among its list of plants toxic to cats and dogs. Symptoms of poisoning in animals include diarrhea, vomiting, salivation and, in extreme cases, convulsions and cardiac arrhythmias.

Toxicity is not limited to animals, however. In the majority of documented cases, narcissus bulbs were mistaken for onions. In May 2009, a group of children from Gorseland Primary School in Suffolk, England, harvested onions from their school garden that were to be added to a recipe for a cooking class. A narcissus bulb found its way into the soup and wasn’t discovered until several of the children began vomiting while others complained of stomach cramps. Twelve children were taken to hospital and released later that day.
One of the most common dermatitis problems for florists, "daffodil itch" involves dryness, fissures, scaling, and erythema in the hands, often accompanied by subungual hyperkeratosis (thickening of the skin beneath the nails). It is blamed on exposure to calcium oxalate in the sap.