Sunday, 20 March 2011
Drum Castle is a castle near Drumoak in Royal Deeside.
The place-name Drum is derived from Gaelic druim, 'ridge'. It was owned by the Irvine family of Drum since the 14th century. Today, the castle is owned by the National Trust for Scotland.
It is very special building because it combines a medieval keep, a Jacobean mansion house and a later Victorian extension. The keep is one of the three oldest tower houses in Scotland, probably dating from 1290.
The south, the newer Jacobean mansion added in the early 1600s. Its elegant facade overlooks the south lawn which hosted many a wedding receptions.
The 18th and 19th century brought this Victorian archway...
To the east of the castle is the defensive medieval tower; some parts dating back to the 13th century.